The Department offers courses leading to the degree of;
- Mater of Science (M.Sc.) Architecture
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D) Architecture
The degree of Master of Science in Architecture is award on successful completion of a two-year programme of studies. The curriculum in Architecture as developed in Ekpoma is aimed at providing the student with the various tools an Architect requires in solving environmental design problems and the opportunity to explore one or two subject areas in considerable depth.
The two years of study are devoted to complex architectural Design problems and building technology. The objective of the system of specialized architectural design modules practiced in the Department to enable in-depth inquiry into building design types, thus allowing the student to develop the beginnings of a specialized career within the broad field of architecture.
The other objectives of the prgramme re to develop the students ability in problem analysis and creative thinking which tools are indispensable to successful architectural career.
MATER OF SCIENCE (M.SC.) ARCHITECTURE
Structure Of The Programme
The programme of study leading to the degree of Master of Science in architecture enables the student to concentrate in the special fields of design such as Industrial Building, Housing, Institutional Buildings, Rural and Urban Design. The specialized fields of design are arranged in module, each module having a specific emphasis as mentioned above.
- Written examination for the award of the M. Sc. Degree are completed in the first year of the two-year programme. The seconded years is devoted to the completion of a live project organized in the Physical planning Unit, Edo State University, Ekpoma during the first Semester and an Architectural Design Thesis in the second Semester
- A candidate for the degrees is expected to complete all courses of instruction in form of lectures, seminars, studio and any other forms of instruction as may be prescribed. All studio assignments are carried out in the studio
- A candidate is expected to pass all written examination before commencing the Design project. The minimum pass mark for both written examination and workshop/studio assignment is 50%.
Requirement For Graduation
A candidate admitted into the M. Sc. degree course shall be required to pass the following before the award of the degree
- Written examination in all prescribed courses
- Workshop or studio assignment
- Design project.
The Thesis of the individual candidate on submission is assessed by a Board of Examiners/ Jury of external and internal examiners approved by radiate School Board.
Ph.D IN ARCHITECTURE (BY COURSE WORK AND RESEARCH)
Doctoral Programme In Architecture
The doctoral programme in Architectural is designed to develop high level manpower resources for the expanding field of architectural education in the country. It is also aimed at meeting the demand for highly qualified researchers capable of serving the needs of the country in the environmental design specialized academic development tailored to accommodate student’s personal goals and objectives.
The overall objective is to train students in conducting significant, original research and make important contribution to knowledge of value to the environmental design discipline. The programme therefore involves both a depth and breath of scholarship, and competence in research and other academic skills.
Requirement For Graduation
To obtain a Ph. D. in architecture, a candidate must fulfill the following requirements:
- Complete successfully the prescribed taught courses (coursework);
- Present an approved research proposal;
- Conduct a significant research satisfactorily;
- Present an acceptable thesis to the department;
- Pass the Final Oral Examination.
Programme of Studies
The doctoral prgramme requires the satisfactory completion of required course work, field research and thesis (dissertation). The course work consists of;
- The Core Courses
- Research Skills and Techniques
- Elective Component
PH.D. IN ARCHITECTURE (BY RESEARCH)
The doctoral programme is designed to devolve high-level manpower resources for the expanding field of architectural education in the country. It is also aimed at meeting the demand for highly qualified researchers capable of serving the needs of the country in the environmental design specially. The programme is designed as a new platform for academic development tailored to accommodate student’s personal goals and objectives.
The overall objective is to train students in conducting significant, original research and make important contribution to knowledge of value to the environmental design discipline. The progamme therefore involve both in-depth and breath scholarship, and competence in research and other academic skills.
Requirement For Admission
To quality for a Ph. D by research in architecture, a candidate must fulfill the following requirements:
- Must possess a relevant M. Sc. /M. Arch in the relevant discipline or area of study.
- Must have made a made minimum average score of 60%
The Ph.D. programme is a minimum of two years (24 calendar Months) Beyond the master level, a maximum of three years duration for full-time students. A minimum duration of three years (36 Calendar Months ) for Part-Time students and a maxinum of five years duration (60 Calendar Months) for part-time students.
Specialization (One Course)
This component of the programme is aimed at developing the depth of understanding, sharpening of anemic skills and gaining or mastering of development within the students intended area of specialization. In consultation with the supervising committee, a student will select areas from those development within the faculty specialization area as listed below.
Major areas of concentration or specialization include:
- Traditional Architecture, Preservation and Conservation;
- History an philosophy of Architecture;
- Social and Behavioral Science in Architecture;
- Environmental Technology and Building Material Research;
- Housing and Management Technology.
- Urban Design and Community Development.