The Department offers courses leading to the degree of masters of Arts (M.A.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) with specialization in the following areas:
- African Traditional Religion
- Old Testament Studies
- New Testament Studies
- Church History
- Philosophy of Religion
MASTER OF ARTS DEGREE IN RELIGIOUS STUDIES
The Master of Arts programmes in religious studies is aimed at postgraduate specialization which will;
- help to provide high level manpower needs of the country;
- enable studies to acquire necessary skills for carrying out further her research in the discipline.
- assist students to understand and appreciate the relevance of religious studies to national development, and
- make the researcher to cultivate and develop scholarly attitude of objectivity, maturity and tolerance towards various religious practice in Nigeria.
STRUCTURE OF THE PROGRAMME.
Subject to the general regulations governing graduate studies candidates must possess requisite level of competence in Greek and or Hebrew. Candidates who are deficient in the two languages will be required to make up deficiency by registering for and passing at least six units of either Greek or Hebrew.
Candidates for biblical studies must demonstrate knowledge of both languages. Each student will take at least 5 courses from his or her area of specialization plus 3 other electives.
In addition, each student must register for research project of 30,000 words which must be passed in an oral examination. Every student shall be required to present at least a seminar paper during the period of study.
REQUIREMENT FOR GRADUARION
To fulfill the requirement for the award of the Degree of Master, a student must register for and pass a minimum of 30 units, which should include core and elective courses and the research thesis.