The philosophy programme seeks to develop sound and critical minds among the students of philosophy such that they can evaluate objectively the problems encountered by mankind in our rapidly developing and civilized society, proffering workable solutions to these problems.
The objectives of the philosophy programme are:
- To prepare the students for effective dialogue with people from the various professions and cultural backgrounds;
- To train the students in the art of logical and sound reasoning bout the issues of life through conceptual clarifications;
- To produce integrally and properly balanced personalities through ethical, metaphysical and allied studies;
- To bring about a re-orientation in human behaviour for the much desired change in our contemporary society;
- To prepare responsible administrative, political and managerial personnel in the manner of the philosopher king.
In addition to the Faculty requirements, a candidate for the B.A. degree in Philosophy shall satisfy the following Departmental requirements:
a) Direct Entry Requirements: (3 - years programme)
At least a pass in two Advanced Level (A/L) subjects or the equivalents at not more than two sittings in Arts, Social Sciences, or the Natural Sciences.
b) U.M.E. Entry Requirements: (4. year programme)
i) At least five Ordinary Level (O/L) subjects or the equivalents at not more than two sittings in Arts, Social Sciences, or the Natural Sciences.
ii) At least a pass in Ordinary Level Mathematics or in any Mathematics related subjects e.g. Physics and Chemistry.
c) U.M.E. Subjects
In addition to B above, a candidate for admission is expected to pass English Language, and any combination of the other subjects in Arts, Social Sciences and the Natural Sciences in the Joint Matriculation Examinations.