The department offers a degree programme leading to the award of the Bachelor of Science (Microbiology)
The Department aims at the production of scientific and technological manpower necessary for achieving national goals of Nigeria.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To produce skilled manpower with a strong background in the various areas of microbiology.
- To make the student develop skill and acquire knowledge necessary for productive research and teaching.
- To train the students to acquire the microbiological knowledge and techniques necessary for industries such as Breweries, Food processing and preservation, Water works, Pharmaceutical, Petrochemical and Research Institutes.
- To train students, where appropriate to acquire the knowledge necessary for healthcare delivery especially in pathological, and immunological laboratories and to monitor environmental pollution.
- To provide courses in microbiology to students of other departments and faculties where degree options require some knowledge of the areas listed in (iii) and (iv) above.
In addition to acceptance pass in UME, candidates must have WASC/GCE ‘O’ level credit passes in at least five subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
Candidates for direct entry admission must have met the matriculation requirements in the relevant subjects plus two HSC/GCE ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry and Biology.
DURATION OF THE PROGRAMME
The B.Sc. (Hons) Microbiology degree is offered as a four year programme for the UME in-take and a three (3) year programme for the direct entry candidates.