Faculty of Life Sciences
PHILISOPHY AND OBJECTIVES
The philosophy of the Faculty of Life Sciences focuses on the production of the scientific and technological manpower necessary for achieving the national goals of Edo State and Nigeria in general. To attain this, emphasis will be placed on the following objectives.
- The inculcation in students of the fundamental principles of science
- The application of these principles to solve societal problems
- The development in students of the capacity to innovate and improve using local resources to achieve development.
It is hoped that the graduates produced will:
- Meet the needs of the State Government and the country for the teaching of all science subjects in their various institutions of learning;
- Fit into positions in the science and research sections of the various government ministries and parastatals, research institutes and the private sector.
- Become self-employed by setting up small scale industries/projects (commercial) as a result of the practical/applied orientation of the training programmes.
- Be involved in productive repsearch that will be of immense benefits to the local community, the nation and the international community.
The Faculty at present consists of the following four (4) Departments
Food and Nutritional Biochemistry, Enzymology, Clinical Biochemistry, Industrial Biochemistry, Biochemical Genetics and Molecular Biology.
Plant Breeding, Crop Protection and Soil Science
Microbial Ecology, Industrial, Food, Medical and Environmental Microbiology, Immunology and Microbial Genetics.
Parasitology, Animal Physiology, Hydro-biology, Fisheries and Molecular Biology