Geography and Environmental Management
PROGRAMME: B.Sc. (Geography and Environmental Management)
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVE OF THE PROGRAMME
The Philosophy of the programme is to produce graduates who are equipped with various techniques and methods of analysis in Geography and Environmental Management so that, they can make meaningful contribution to local, National and International development and planning. Graduates of this programme can register as members of the Association of Nigerian Geographers (ANG) as well as the Nigerian Cartographic Association (NCA). They can also feature as environmentalists.
The objectives of the programme are to:
- make the students have a good understanding of the human and natural phenomena that affect the earth’s surface;
- enable the students acquire the techniques and skills of identifying and analyzing the various social and environmental problems of development planning in the society;
- make the students develop or have a critical judgement of issues (human and natural) to which they will be able to advance solutions;
- equip the students with the skills and the techniques required in the practice of urban, regional and environmental planning.
- enable students after specializing in any sub-area of geography and regional planning serve as planning officers, teachers/lecturer, environmental managers cartographers, administrators, personnel officers, landscape designers etc.
STRUCTURE OF THE PROGRAMME
The programme is a FOUR-YEAR DEGREE programme. Two categories of courses are offered in the programme, namely Compulsory and Elective Courses:
- The Compulsory courses are those which are mandatory and required and must be taken and passed by all students at particular levels.
- Elective courses are those from which students at particular levels must choose so as to make up the minimum credit (units) needed for that level.
(a) Four Year Degree Programme
Admission into the 4-year degree programme is through:
- Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME)
To be eligible for admission into the 4 year B.Sc. degree programme (Geography and Environmental Management) a candidate must have obtained five credits in the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) or General Certificate of Education (GCE O/L) in not more than two sittings.
The credits must be in English Language, Mathematics, Geography and any other two subjects from Economics, Fine Arts, Commerce, Civic Education, Government, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Agricultural Sciences and Social Studies..
(b) Three-Year Programme
Admission into the three-year B.Sc. degree programme is through direct entry. To be eligible for admission into the 3-year programme a candidate must, in addition to the JME requirements, have obtained any of the following certificates:
- Two GCE (A/L) subjects including Geography.
- At least a merit pass in the following diploma programmes of this University. Diploma in Public Administration, Diploma in Town Planning or any other relevant discipline from any recognized institutions. The grade of pass must not be less than merit level.
- Holders of the Nigerian Certificate of Education (NCE) with geography combinations. A pass in NCE English or pass in general paper in GCE (A/L) level is acceptable as fulfilling the English Language requirement.
In order to obtain a Bachelor of Science Degree in Geography and Environment Management, a student is required to complete a minimum of 116 credits (units) load for the 4-year programme and 138 credits (units) load for the 3-year programme.
To graduate, all compulsory courses must be passed. This is in addition to University-wide completing courses such as General Studies, Computer and Entrepreneurial Studies.
Details of minimum and maximum units students can register for as well as regulations governing examination procedure with reference to malpractice, absence from examination, are in the Faculty Handbook. Students are compulsorily required to acquire it or be conversant with the content of the Handbook.
DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY AND ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT HANDBOOK