AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The main objectives of School of Postgraduate Studies in this University shall be the further development in Graduate Students the spirited of enquiry through training in research in an atmosphere of intellectual independence and individual creativity with a strong sense of group co-operation. In pursuit of these objectives, teacher and students constitute a single team in a well defined and purposeful endeavour.
Impuissance of these objectives is the fostering, through instruction, of deeper understanding of elementary concepts and an increasing ability to apply fundamental ideas to new problems. The students in the School of Postgraduate Studies must, therefore, be made to realize quite early that his intellectual growth and subsequent success are directly related to the depth of his command of basic principle. Hence, although graduate studies are usually associated with high degree of specialization, such specialization is or must be secondary to extending mental horizons, producing new orientations, and developing a depth of understanding. With the context of the above general objectives, graduate studies in the University shall pursue two particular in orientation. Thus, it must seek to:
- provide facilities for training in research for those whose future careers will be in teaching and research at the University level and for those who may have to operate in research and development situations in the public or private inspectors, e.g. in government, commercial and industrial concerns and
- provide both short and long term training facilities aimed at improving and upgrading the existing and potential high level manpower needed for planning, executing and reviewing national development plans.
The School of Post Graduate Studies has a number of departments that offer various post graduate diploma, masters degree and doctorate programmes. Below is a list of the departments, click on any department to view the courses it ofers.
- Agricultural Economics and Extension
- Animal Science
- Civil Engineering
- Commercial and Property Law
- Crop Science
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Educational Foundations
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Geography and Regional Planning
- History and International Studies
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Modern Languages
- Physical and Health Education
- Political Science
- Production and Material Engineering
- Public Administration
- Public and International Law
- Religious Management and Cultural Studies
- Soil Science
A) Master’s Degree Programme
Candidates who possess any of the following qualification may be considered for admission.
- At least a Second Class Honour Degree of Ambrose Alli University,Epoma or of any other University of recognized standing in the elegant discipline
- Holders of FIMLS Certificate in Science related areas may be considered for Graduate programmes in some Science Department.
- Holders of HND Upper Credit with relevant post NYSC working experience plus a Pass in the Nigerian Society of Engineers Graduateship Examinations OR Holders of Pos-Graduate Diploma in Engineering of any recognized University with at least a credit level pass may be considered by the Faculty of Engineering and Technology
- For Master in Public Administration (MPA), Holder of a Second Class Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline or HND plus Postgraduate Diploma in any discipline with at least 3 year working experience may be considered.
- Holders of LL.B. Third Class Honour and a B.L. as well as five year post call may be considered for the LL.M.
- For M.Sc.(Architecture) aside (1) above, a holder of the B.Sc. Third class Honour (Architecture) or its equivalence may be considered after up-dating his/her portfolio within a minimum period of one year and successfully going through an interview conducted by the Department of Architecture.
Candidate in (ii) & (iii) above, shall be required to take Remedial courses at the Undergraduate level which must be passed before proceeding to the Master’s degree programme.
B) Ph.D. Programme
A graduate of Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma or of any other University of recognized standing who possesses a degree of Masters appropriate to the intended course may be considered for admission.
C) Post-Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
A graduate of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma or any other University of recognized standing who possesses a first degree classification acceptable to Senate.
D) Post-Graduate Diploma in Engineering (PGDENG)
Holders of good HND/HNC in Engineering with at least 4 tears post qualification cognate experience or Graduates in fields relevant to Engineering of any recognized University may be considered for admission.
E) Post-Graduate Diploma in Public ADMINISTRATION (PGDPA)
A Graduate of any recognized University in any discipline OR Holders of HND in any discipline with at least three (3) years cognate experience may be considered.
F) Post-Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (PGDBM)
Candidates who possess any of the following qualifications may be considered for admission into the programme
A third class honours degree in Business Management
Holders of HND in any discipline from a recognized institution.
TYPE OF ADMISSION
Full-Time admission can be offered only to candidates who satisfy the School of Postgraduate Studies that they are not in employment, or do not undertake full-time programme elsewhere. Candidates found to have made false declaration in this regard shall be asked to withdraw from the University.
Candidates, if they are working elsewhere and can satisfy th e School of Postgraduate Studies that facilities for their work as par-time students are adequate. Candidates applying for part-time registration may be asked to show evidence of release by their employers.
Admission to Remedial Courses:
Candidates who satisfy the minimum entry requirement but found deficient in the specific areas of study may be required to undergo remedial courses to prepare them for the main programme.
A full-time member of staff of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma may be admitted to a higher degree in accordance with the regulations subject to the following conditions:
- The member of staff must meet the normal requirements for eligibility to pursue a programme of Graduate Studies in the area of his choice.
- The member of staff must pay 50% of the approved fees.
- Where a person who has been a candidate under this Regulation ceases to be a member of staff of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma and he intends to continue with the programme, he would be treated as non-staff; and would therefore be subject to payment of full fees and other charge as may be applicable from time to time.
Where a Candidate was admitted to the Graduate programme before becoming a member of staff of the University, he would be required to pay full fees prior to his assumption of duty. There after he would be required to 50% of the approved fees.
DURATION OF THE PROGRAMME
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
(a) Full-time Diploma - 2 Semesters
(b) Part-time Diploma - 4 Semesters
(c) Sandwich - 2 Long vacations of 8 weeks each.
In the case of (a) above, there shall be a Six week, period of internship during which students shall undertake supervise detaching practice.
Master’s Degree Programme
- FULL-TIME Master’s by course work, thesis/Dissertation and oral examination a minimum of 2 semesters and a maximum of 4 semesters. Extension may be allowed for not more than one semester only.
- Part-time master’s by course work, thesis/Dissertation and oral examination a minimum of 4 semesters and a maximum of 8 semesters. Extension may be allowed for not more than two Semesters only.
- Full-time - A minimum of 4 semesters beyond the master’s degree and a maximum of 6 semesters.
- Part-time - A minimum of 8 Semesters beyond the master’s degree and a maximum of 12 Semesters.