Generally, the postings in Surgery are aimed at providing the students with an understanding of the scientific basis of the principles and practice of Surgery and acquainting them with the presentation and management of the common range of surgical problems/diseases, with particular reference to the tropics and Nigeria. At the end of the positing in Surgery, the student should have acquired enough knowledge, skills and attitudes, to enable him:
- diagnose and manage rationally common surgical problems. Including making referrals to appropriate centres;
- diagnose and manage rationally common surgical emergencies including making timely referral to appropriate centres as necessary;
- undertake simple anaesthesia and analgesia in surgical procedures;
- work within a health team and acquire leadership qualities; and
- practice with high bedside manners and ethical standards including having a deep respect and concern for his patients.