The Department offers degree programme in six different professional study areas namely: painting, sculpture, ceramics, textiles, graphics and metal design. The first two sections are under Fine Arts while the last four are under Applied Arts, hence Fine/Applied Arts Department. The Department offers a one-year foundation programme a four and three year undergraduate programmes leading to the award of the Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A).
The Department aims at two things among others:
- To equip students with the necessary skills for stimulating visual creativity through the manipulation of forms and materials.
- To embrace a curriculum that is based on the African concept of unity of the visual and performing Arts which tends to explore the interrelationship and interdependence of Arts as a cultural phenomenon, designed to make students visually and culturally literate.
Therefore, the Department offers systematic courses of instruction leading to specialization in one of the study areas of the Visual Arts which include Painting, Sculpture, Graphics, Textiles, Ceramics and Metal Design.
It is desirable that the curriculum of the department shall aspire to produce competent artist with the right intellectual perspective on the role of Art as an instrument of social development. The curriculum will endeavour to achieve the following objectives:
- To stimulate and nurture artistic creativity in all its ramifications.
- To encourage and guide the students to use their creative skills to enhance and add breath to the quality of living in the Nigerian environment.
- A good balance between practical and theoretical courses. This is to produce artists who would be both visually and culturally literate.
- A programme of study that will enable the student to combine the international dimensions of Art with a deep knowledge of local artistic and cultural traditions. Emphasis should be place on the development of high professional skills, exploration and indigenous materials and motifs, and the cultivation of a personal idiom of expression.
- To raise in the level of aesthetics and cultural awareness in the students and by extension, among the people through research, academic publications and art exhibitions.