The underlying philosophy of the degree programme in Banking and Finance is to develop the mind, impact both theoretical and practical knowledge on individual to develop self confidence, be innovative and self reliant in the field of Banking and finance. It is hoped that on attainment of the B.Sc. degree in Banking and Finance the banking graduates will be recognized for exemptions from some aspects of bankers professional examinations.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The B.Sc. (Banking and Finance) degree programme aims at producing graduates who are able to assist in the solution of banking and finance problems that affect the society at large. Specifically, the objectives of the Department of Banking and Finance would be:
- To promote banking education in Nigeria through
- Conducting banking examinations
- Organizing lectures, seminars and conferences on banking, finance and other allied subjects
- Conducting research into banking theory and practices
- Training of men and women who can contribute through research and publications towards the advancement of finance and finance related knowledge in Nigeria, Africa and the World. A student in this discipline will be encouraged to develop research and professional interest in business financial management, banking and public sector finance.
- Equipping the students of Banking and Finance with the analytical skills necessary for recognizing, defining and solving problems as well as training in decision making.
- Developing leadership and interpersonal relations skills in Banking and Finance.
- Training students in the principles and techniques of organizational behaviour in order to ensure effective management in the banking industry.
A candidate seeking admission into the programme must possess the following;
a) UME Admission
At least five (5) credit grades in SSCE or O/L GCE or NECO or NABTEB, which must include English Language, Mathematics, Economics or Commerce or Accounting and two relevant O/L subjects at not more then two sittings. An approved minimum JAMB score by the authorities of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma will also be required.
b) Direct Entry Admission
A candidate for direct entry admission must possess Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma diploma with at least merit grade in Banking and Finance or Accounting or Business Management (or Administration) in addition to the requirements in (a) above. A Polytechnic diploma with at least lower credit grade may also be considered.
Besides the requirements in (a) and (b), other qualifications that are considered relevant by the Senate of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma from time to time may also be acceptable for admission.