Following exhaustive deliberations, debates and consultations on the voting system to be adopted for the Student Union Election to be held on March 24th 2017, the electronic voting system (e-voting) has been unanimously adopted by all stakeholders.
At various fora, students and stakeholders examined the merits and demerits of e-voting and decided for it. The Electoral Commission, the various aspirants, Faculty representatives, staff advisers and the generality of the students opted for e-voting as a preferred option. It is only natural for AAU, in order to sustain its best state University in Nigeria rating, to key into this laudable initiative.
The e-voting platform will be online real-time and students are expected to vote for their preferred candidates online from the comfort of their homes and halls of residence without having to congregate at a particular venue on the day of the elections.
The advantages of e-voting cannot be overemphasized. Some of them are;
- It keys into the vision of the present Vice Chancellor of the University Prof Ignatius Onimawo who in a bid to eliminate human weaknesses that militate against credibility and transparency and to save cost of paperwork has introduced e-senate, e-result, e-payments, e-administration, e-learning and Computer Based Test (CBT) etc.
- It allows for free, fair and credible elections.
- It allows every member of the union to vote easily and conveniently at any location around the world.
- Every member is allowed to vote without rancor and acrimony.
- It will enable us to create an environment that is violence free during the election.
- It is cost effective and allows for timely and easy collation of election results.
- It gives room for a secret ballot system as required by the Student Union constitution.
- It positions AAU in the league of Universities in Nigeria that employ international best practices in the use of technology.
GUIDELINES FOR VOTING:
The platform has been designed to be user-friendly. Eligible students are expected to login to the online voting platform at https://aauekpoma.edu.ng/vote to start voting. Voting starts at 8am and ends 1pm on Friday, 24th March 2017.
The following are the steps for voting:
Step 1. Voter accreditation
1. Type the Url to your browser i.e. https://aauekpoma.edu.ng/vote
2. Tap on 'Voter Accreditation'
3. Enter matriculation number
4. Tap 'Verify'
5. Input your valid and active email address and phone number
6. Tap submit to receive login password* in your email and phone
* password is case sensitive
Step 2. e-Voting
1. Login with your matriculation number as username and a password.
2. Tap on the 'Election' tab to see all candidates and elective positions.
3. Tap 'Select' to choose your preferred candidate.
4. Tap 'Vote' to vote for your preferred candidate.
5. Repeat Step 3 and 4 for all other candidates and elective positions.
6. Tap on 'Results' to view the results of the election.
N/B. Results will only be available online at the end of the voting period.
We wish all students of Ambrose Alli University a memorable online voting experience as we also wish all candidates success in the election.
Prof. Don Akhilomen
Chairman, Student Union Electoral Committee and Dean of Students.
Above is for the information of staff, students and general public, please
Edward U. Aihevba, FPISM, FNISM, MANUPA
Deputy Registrar, Information/Public Relations Office