Pharmacology And Therapeutics
Broadly, at the end of the course, the student is expected to be able to utilize the knowledge acquired to prescribe drugs/remedies for disease states. The student is provided with the basic knowledge of drug action and an extension of this knowledge to drug therapy.
The specific objectives are to:
- Provide students with the scientific basis for an understanding of the properties of drugs and the mechanisms by which they produce their effects in disease conditions;
- Introduce students to the principles of drug treatment in disease states;
- Enable students to become competent, at the end of the course, in selecting drug(s) rationally for diseases/illnesses diagnosed on a scientific basis;
- Understand the limitations of drug use in disease management and the possible adverse effects of drugs; and
- Know the common agents and causes of toxicity and the management of conditions caused by them.